Who are the Careers Team?
At The Morley Academy we have a well-resourced and highly experienced Careers Department. Mrs. Sharp, who is Head of Careers and Guidance and Mrs. Medlock, our qualified Careers Adviser, are based in the Careers Office, which can be found in the Library. They are available to all students for drop-in enquiries at break and lunchtime most days and they work closely with form tutors across all year groups at key points throughout the year, providing support during form time, PD lessons and assemblies which can be summarised as follows:
|Year 7||• Looking Ahead questionnaire in PD/Form.
• Careers related assemblies and PD activities.
|Year 8||• Looking Ahead Interviews in preparation for the Options Evening.
• Be Smart Day activities – Fast Tomato to support with option planning.
• Options Assemblies including curriculum updates and advice on Apprenticeships/EHC and Post 16 options.
• Options Evening and follow up careers meetings where requested.
|Year 9||• Year 9 students to be invited to the careers fair.
• Post 16 focus in assemblies/PD.
• Assemblies also used to outline the main post 16 options and to familiarise students with the range of options available to them. HE/FE/Apprenticeships.
|Year 10||• Looking Ahead Interviews.
• The Big Deal enterprise competition.
• Targeted Careers interviews following Looking Ahead meetings with SLT.
• Follow up 1:1 meetings with Mrs Medlock, Careers Adviser.
• Year 10 students to be invited to the careers fair
• Post 16 focus in assemblies to include introduction to Apprenticeships and other post 16 options.
• Planning personal statements in July in preparation for year 11 applications on UCAS Progress.
|Year 11||• Looking Ahead Interviews .
• UCAS Progress Search and Apply sessions in form/PD with FT’s.
• Be Smart Day sessions to complete UCAS Progress applications.
• Careers Fair with FE and Apprenticeship focus as well as HE providers.
• Targeted 1:1 Careers interviews with Mrs Medlock to follow up to Looking Ahead meetings with SLT.
• Sessions on CV writing and support for Apprenticeship applicants.
• Informal ‘drop in’ sessions at break and lunchtime.
• Interview preparation sessions for post 16 colleges and apprenticeship applications.
• The careers team are available in school on GCSE results day.